Updated: Aug 17
Falls can be very dangerous and can result in serious injuries or even death. Here are some tips to help you avoid fall accidents:
1. Keep your home safe: Make sure your home is free of tripping hazards such as loose rugs, cluttered floors, and uneven surfaces. Use non-slip mats in the bathroom, and install handrails on stairs and in the shower or bathtub.
2. Wear appropriate footwear: Wear shoes that fit well and provide good support. Avoid high heels or shoes with slick soles.
3. Stay active: Exercise regularly to improve your strength, balance, and flexibility. This can help you avoid falls.
4. Use assistive devices: Use a walking cane, walker, or other assistive device if you need help with balance or mobility.
5. Be cautious: Be careful when walking on wet or slippery surfaces, and take your time when getting up from a chair or bed.
6. Get regular eye exams: Poor vision can increase your risk of falls, so make sure you get regular eye exams to ensure your vision is healthy.
7. Use caution with medications: Some medications can make you feel dizzy or unsteady. Be sure to follow your doctor's instructions, and be aware of any side effects that may affect your balance.
By following these tips, you can reduce your risk of falling and stay safe.